Sunday, January 3, 2010

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

So, I want to share something that wow'd my mind last week. K-Dogg enlightened me that due to how our bodies work, we can only lose a certain amount of weight per week. So I persisted to ask what if I worked out in the gym for 3 hours a day burned like 1500 calories extra per day? Wouldn't I lose an extra 1/2 pound per day? Apparently no..... WHAT?!?!? Followed by a few choice words. SO here is the deal. Apparently if you end up burning too many calories per day or working out too much, your metabolism slows down to make up for the quick use of calories. SO apparently all these years everyone that has said you must lose weight slowly (like 2 pounds per week) to keep it off was really telling the truth. Huh. *Sigh* Well, most people are probably responding with "no shit". But what can I say, I just thought is was a simple math equation. Weight lost equals calories in minus calories out. But apparently our bodies are much more complex than that. So I have dedicated 2010 to a year of health and fitness. I would like to remind myself that in my past life I was one of the most fit out of my friends. However, currently that is most definitely not the case. Well here goes nothing 2010.

Plan: Eat 1200 calories per day, tapering carbs after lunch.

Breakfast: 350 calories including granola and skim milk with either fruit or low fat protein, Tea or coffee + Daily Vitamin

Midmorning Snack: Protein & Fruit - Kefir and a piece of Fruit

Lunch: 2 cups of greens with dried fruit+nuts+veggies, 1 to 1-1/2 cups of broth based soup, whole wheat grains (pasta, crackers, quinoa, brown rice, etc), additional protein (chicken sausage), WATER

Dinner: 3-4 ounces of lean protein (salmon, scallops, chicken, shrimp (YUM)) along with a side of 1-2 cups of steamed veggies including olive oil and/or shredded parmesan....fat calories dependent

Goals:
1. 1200 Calories per day...but listen to my body if I need slightly more.
2. Keep my fat calorie intake to under 30%. (THANK YOU FITDAY.COM!!!!)
3. Lose 2 pounds per week.
4. Go to the gym 6 days per week with a minimum of 5 days per week.
5. Stay away from empty calories and sugar
6. Log my food intake and workouts daily on fitday.com

Weekly Workout Regime:
Day 1 :
20 minutes running
35 mins bag/rope
20 mins upper weights
30 minutes cardio

Day 2:
30 minutes running
25 minutes lower ab training
40 minutes cardio

Day 3:
10 minutes warm-up (Heart rate at 130)
20 minutes of intervals (top heart rate at 170 during 30 second sprints then 1 minute run/walk at 150)
35 minutes bag/rope

Day 4:
30 minutes running
30 minutes upper weights
40 minutes cardio

Day 5:
10 minute warm-up
25 minutes lower abs workout
30 minutes cardio

Day 6:
20 minutes running
10 minutes abs 3
30 minutes rope/stairs

One important thing I have to remind myself is that since I'm just starting out again, I can't expect to run the full 20 or 30 minutes. So I need to keep an eye on my heart rate and complete run/walk cycles with intervals. As long as I keep my heart rate at around 150 while completing intervals I am making changes. After all, when I complete these workouts with my fit friend, she ends up with the same heart rate when she runs as I do run/walking. One day, I'll have to run the whole thing too.....the price for being more fit! Until that day!

So peace out yo-yo dieting and weight loss/weight gain cycles. It's about time I lost the weight for good! So sayonara extra weight and hello new kitty... Feisty Healthy Kitty!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment